To all the music lovers out there, you’ve probably realized music has its healing powers. I know as a musician, I have. It’s been there for me in times of happiness, sadness, rage and hope. But music doesn’t just affect emotions, it physiologically changes the body. Whether you’re a fan of Vivaldi, Hans Zimmer (my idol), the Beatles or Carrie Underwood — or all four! — it’s important to understand and learn about the health benefits of both playing and listening to music.
Music can change the world because it can change people. [Bono]
Listening to music:
1. Reduces stress; regulates arousal and mood; achieves self-awareness and expresses social relatedness.
3. Staves off hearing loss in old age.
4. Effects emotions through blood vessel constriction (to decrease blood flow) or dilation (to increase blood flow).
5. Helps recovery (including that of stroke victims).
6. Boosts endurance.
9. Protects mental sharpness in old age.
Tell us in the comments how does music help you?